Friends of the Earth Ghana was founded in 1986 and joined the membership of Friends of the Earth International (FoEI), the world’s largest grassroots environmental network uniting 76 autonomous environmental organizations from all over the world. FoE-Ghana is a national non-governmental organisation working in all the regions of Ghana.
Our Vision: That Ghana should become an ecologically, socially and economically sustainable society.
1. We aim to contribute to:Protecting the Earth against degradation caused by human activities
2. Empowering and supporting communities to know and defend their rights
3. Ensuring food security for all by facilitating agro-ecological farming that also helps communities adapt to climate change
4. Supporting rural communities to overcome poverty and inequality through sustainable and rewarding livelihood strategies
5. Building the capacity of local communities to defend their lands and forests against illegal and unsustainable activities.
6. Bringing about transparent and accountable governance and fighting corruption, especially in the natural resource sector
7. Women’s empowerment through gender equity in access to rights, resources and livelihood opportunities
8. Change towards environmentally and socially equitable development in the activities of governments, institutions, businesses and industries.
9. Preserving the earth’s ecological, cultural and ethnic diversity
10. Promoting sustainable resource use at the local, national and global levels.
Our purpose: The purpose of FoE-Ghana is to protect the Earth and environment and bring about socially equitable development. Through the empowerment of women, we contribute to building gender equity in access to resources and livelihood opportunities.